Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Where Does The Innocent Go?


To help or not to help... That's the questions that kept popping out of my head as I listen to his story. I remember thinking how cute his head looked, with the slight "ogo" protruding from the back, that matched that of the man, behind whom he rode on the "okada" that night, as they passed by me, slowing down slightly up ahead just as i got into my car. I remember thinking "ahh...he must have read my thought" as he turned back to stare at me. Then, I flashed a smile, cooing at this kid... he looked to me to be only but 10, or there about  He couldn't have aged much more.

He flashed back a smile... and my skin crawled and i felt a chill sinister is the word that best describes it that smile was not soon to be forgotten. My headlights reflected the glint from the metal and "BANG"!!! went the little boy's revolver.

Two months on the hospital bed, Few more in physio-therapy I still remember so clearly the cute little boy and the man, maybe his father, that left me with nothing that night, save my life, and maybe that, even, by chance. I see the child surrounded by life's harsh realities and ask myself...where did the innocence go?

Today i trust no one... Not even the little boys standing by the roadside Waving me down for a ride to school.

I trust no one....
   Not even the pregnant woman struggling with the masses for a seat in the bus.

I trust no one....
   Not even the beggar that stands by the roadside.

I trust no one...
  All because of that one night...and that day I swore to myself "Every man/child/woman....to his own".

....This post was spurred by a conversation I had with a friend, and the story narrates his ordeal...till date, he tells everyone who cares to listen, how that day has hardened him, I dont blame him though, as so many people have lent a helping hand, only to get badly hurt in the process.

Share your story and let us learn from it! 

There was also this woman, who tried to help a "lost" child, and ended up gang rapped...those men and the child were brought to book, but this woman just might never be the same....

I used to pick children along the road on my way to work and drop them off at school, but stopped when I heard of how someone's phones and wallet was "picked" as he helped same such children to school one morning.

Yet the question begs to be answered...do we turn our backs on others, because we run the risk of being hurt in the process...or do we continue to lend the helping hand, hoping that we would be able to outsmart those who plan wickedness in return. Yea, it's difficult question to give answers to, but your response is indeed important to save someone out there! 

-ciao (bosydeprincessa)

*ogo* - yoruba term for protrusions, mostly at the back of the head
*okada* -  local term for a regular motorcycle



No comments:

Post a Comment