Monday, October 14, 2013

A diary of an Ex-otondo (Youth Corper)

Hello everyone! Kindly note that this write-up should have been posted since the 10th of October, 2013 which was the exact date the young lady 'passed out' of NYSC. But due to chronic 'laziness'  and the fact that it has to be reviewed to meet up to what we believe our followers will love. So kindly bear with me on this...thanks! 😃

Here goes her dairy sent to us, we hope you find it interesting! 

NYSC;The End of a Chapter. 

So today, 10th October, 2013, my service year is to end. The thought of it still rocks me, as it is like a dream from which I am just beginning to awaken; needless to say, reality is dawning on me.....FAST! Like a bucket of ice-cold water is being hurled at my scrawny frame, quite jolting. 

I'm 21. Unemployed and totally unwife-able, what an accomplishment. Kindly spot the sarcasm in that sentence, thanks 😏. 
Here I am, still awake, on my bed at precisely 00:28am, indeed more than grateful to BABA GOD for the successful completion of my NYSC year. Throughout this year, I've not fallen seriously ill once, although Od knows how many times I've wished it upon myself just so I could avoid work!      *audible sigh* , never had to be rushed to the hospital because I had a fever, which I must confess would have been really awkward for my present guardians, considering the fact that they are staunch Apostolic Faith members...catch my drift?

My service year was definitely what I expected.....not at all. I got too much of a reality shock and had to read just some of my inner workings as Lagos isn't  really what I thought it was before I arrived here. I knew it was tough, but I had no idea that almost everyone was either tired, frustrated, angry, insane or a disastrous combination of all these! But I'm pleased to inform you that my cursing skills have been well honed and developed by this Centre of Excellence, thanks to Lagos danfo drivers and conductors. My pricing and negotiating skills are better too :D.
Also my experiences concerning exchanging words with Lagos conductors over the issue of change shall definitely not leave ,me in a hurry! Hilarious as the might seem now, in those moments, one would have thought that I was an NURTW worker or something. Ko funny rara mehn...LOL.

But seriously speaking, and in a bid to dwell on the positives, my service year was spent in discovering myself and adding value to others.

In this one year, I have bettered my French-speaking ability, though I'm not yet perfect and I may have to drop out and not take exams with my classmates x_x but at least there is a marked improvement.

I also had the opportunity in August to get my first public speaking 'job' or as I would prefer to term it 'assignment' at YWCA Annual National Youth Retreat with the theme being : ' It's Our World, Where is Our Place?' addressing a wide audience of women cutting across different age groups, tribes, occupations etc. It was awesomely inspiring and also humbling.
Even at my workplace /PPA, I learned a great deal about the functions of my department in NAFDAC and also a lot of clerical duties that I would not have learnt anywhere else e.g. fixing pins into a stapler. As basic as that might sound, believe you me, I had no idea of how to do that before my service year.

Plus, I had a very interesting boss, tough as nails but also incredibly nice. Even though we hail from the same place, she never for once tried to 'famz' and even though I bear the same name as her only beloved son, she showed me no preference amongst my colleagues...well except for assigning more work. But instead of resenting her, I always tried to see things from her POV and I could understand her a BIT better cos I found out that all she did/does is was/is due to love for her job and country. A true patriot, Mrs Amore, from whom I learnt a great deal.

Lest I forget, I took a professional course, wrote the exam, passed and now I'm an Associate Member of the Institute of Strategic Management, Nigeria. Cool, innit? Yeah another feather to my cap for my dainty, petite frame.

And even though I never wrote 'that book' I was aiming to write this year, I've achieved some things of no small feat.

Now, moving on to 'Les Affaires de Coeur' loosely translated to mean 'The Matters of the Heart' for the benefit of you non-French speaking mortals; I've been most unlucky and also most lucky I dare say.
I had probably my most doomed/disastrous relationship eve, for which I take a chunk of the blame as there were so MANY things I handled badly, let happen and could have done differently.
I think in a way I broke his heart and he hurt me too, but Hey! Hearts are meant to be broken, ma Cherie but you gotta stiffen that upper lip. 

Anyway, it's not all dark and gloom, my love-life (if you can call it that). 'Out of the ashes, the Phoenix rises' or how was it said in Deathly Hallows (or was it Half-Blood Prince?)

Back to the topic, there's this guy sha *eyelashes*  I don't know x_x * furiously blushing* okay okay I got this *deep breath* I don't know why I have to share this, but I just felt like...*eye rolling.

Anyways, there's this guy yea, who's been in my life like forever....my first crush ever(like since when I was 3) who just got back into my life for steady and he's talking you know ... L-word and all *dreamy sigh* and he's ALMOST everything I had hoped for. He seemed too perfect, I swear I was glad when I found out his flaws.

But I definitely hope not to ruin it this time tho, taking it easy with the whole commitment and L-word ish, especially the L-word cos when I fall, I FALL. plus, I'm seriously counting on God for this one, o that I don't stray from His will, Amen in Jesus' name o:) 

OK, so it's exactly 1:05am now, so I've been waiting for about....uhmmmm. 

I do hope princessa's blog will find my dairy interesting so she can share on her blog. To all my otondo's out there congratz... We sure can't wait to be in the labour market. 

Gotta go sleep no, so I can be fresh and fit for for the big day today. At least even if I'm not popping table water, I should still look good now, before all those Ikeja and Island babes will start oppressing somebody ...Hian! *yawns* Ok now, eyin temi, e take care o.....muchos gracias, merci beaucoup et au devoir, hasta la vista...BYEEEEE! 


To get your dairy featured on our blog simple email: info.posche@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment