Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Does People's Opinion Really Matter?

Today is Tuesday. another day gone i whispered. I wake up feeling so excited, and wondering what to write today. After having my morning devotion, I began to wonder, about the saying, One's opinion might not count in all ridiculous occasions. Why we shouldn't allow people's opinion about us rule our lives, and most importantly, why is that saying so so true!

We all know what everyone says about opinions, about how everyone has them and basically they stink. Well not all opinions stink , only the ones that hinder you from “being great” by being great I mean doing you, living life.

I look at myself, my past how I used to be one of those people whose life was controlled by the opinions of others. How it was so hard to live life sometimes because of that nagging voice in the back of my mind “what would people say or think”.  How much so well I want to satisfy everyone, i mean every of  my friends. That voice stopped me from doing a lot of things that I WANTED, because I was scared .I was scared of WORDS…when I think about it, It seems a little silly to me but believe me back then it was all that ruled my life.

You see, people will always talk no matter what…so why not just do what makes you happy? Why consider the opinion of someone who isn’t even a factor in your life, who when you sit down and think about doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. Why why why do we let words from some other imperfect human being stop us from doing what we really want to do.

Now I am not saying oh I am totally immune to people’s opinions about me, I’d be lying if I did. I am saying though that it doesn’t rule my life like it used to before. The only opinions I really concern myself with right now are the ones from people that really matter. Not just some random classmate who I think would think of me any less or one colleague who will go around saying stuff about me.

I used to be so consumed with the way I looked when I was younger, oh people think I am too slim, people will think I don’t look good, people will think I am too intelligent and smart, people will say why am I talking to this person or that person or why am I in a relationship with so so and so. I was terribly depressed back then and when I think about it that is a place I NEVER EVER want to find myself at.

Now I know there are slimmer, prettier, smarter, richer girls than me and I have accepted that. I have accepted that I am not perfect and I am cool with that. I have accepted that because someone doesn’t find me attractive isn’t a bad thing cause I don’t find other people attractive. There will be people who like you and want to be with and and there will be people who you just don’t appeal to. Doesn’t make them bad people its just the way it is. I have made peace with myself and accepted the fact that, all that matters is what I feel about myself.

So allow people have their opinions about you, it shouldn’t make you angry (although sometimes it can) or stop you from doing whatever it is you want to do. The most profound moment of my life, that turned me from the tiny little slim girl who hated the whole world into the happy beautiful slim girl who loves herself regardless and found the many other wonderful things about herself was what my mom told me one day.

My mom  just asked a simple question… “Why are you more concerned with what human beings, mortal beings that breathe the same air you do think about you than what God thinks about you” and I don’t know I just thought about that line a few times and my life changed. It wasn’t a fast speedy process but with time I changed.

Some opinions still get to me but most I brush off my shoulders.. I am very opinionated too but I try to have less opinions about people’s lives cause really I don’t know any better, I don't know where there coming from, and why they act the way they do. My opinions are more about issues, entertainment, education, careers, happenings and less about what this or that person should do. Who am I to say this or that is the right decision for anyone.

So there you have it….. people will have opinions about your relationships, about who you date, about what you do, what you wear….every single thing in your life. Try not to let it stop you from doing what you ultimately want to except it’s the opinion of someone you are sure has your best interest at hand cause in the end…. Like they say opinions…everybody has them and basically they stink.

Do have a splendid Tuesday! Kisses....

Comment, Share and Like!

No comments:

Post a Comment